How to build the perfect wishlist on your way to ‘I do’.
You still can’t stop staring at your gorgeous engagement ring and the chaos of wedding planning is starting to set in. Well take a deep breath, because now it is time to tackle the gift registry. This is your opportunity to finally get that gold flatware you’ve been lusting after! Remember though, when building your registry there are many variables to consider. Including the rules of etiquette and your fiancé’s opinion. Before you get off track, read on for our top ten registry dos and don’ts. Trust us, we’re experts!
Here are our top 10 registry dos and don’ts:
- Do register early – Complete your gift registry at six months before the big day. This gives guests plenty of time to pick out the perfect gifts for showers and the wedding.
- Don’t go overboard – Make a list before your appointment of what you need. Cover holes in your current collection and then upgrade the pieces that you use often.
- Do ask a professional – While it might be tempting to just build a registry on your own, working directly with a consultant guarantees your selections will fit your lifestyle for years to come.
- Don’t rush – Take your time to pick items that you truly love. Review your registry often and don’t be afraid to sleep on big decisions, like which china pattern to choose.
- Do think ahead – Sure you only need a few plates now. But what about a decade in the future? Register for plenty of place settings. Twelve is a good number that allows for breakage down the line.
- Don’t do it alone – This is one of the most fun parts of building your life as a married couple. Make sure to include your partner in the process and work together to find your style.
- Do aim for a variety of prices – You want guests to have as many options as possible. This will ensure that they find gifts in their price range without going over budget or piecing together lots of small items.
- Don’t forget etiquette – Registry information should never be printed on invitations or save the dates. Use a wedding website or shower inserts to spread the word. And don’t forget to send thank you notes!
- Do stay true to yourself – In the end, it is all about what you and your fiance like. Other people will give their opinions and advice. Be gracious, but keep in mind that these are items for you.
- Don’t stress too much – Wedding planning can be a very busy time. Keep things in perspective and embrace your registry as an opportunity to outfit your new home with things you truly love.